Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help Heybike Cityscape

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Help Heybike Cityscape

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-24, 05:53 PM

Bikes: 26" Heybike Cityscape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help Heybike Cityscape

I have a 26" Heybike Cityscape that I've bent the rear wheel somehow. Does anyone know of any other brand that could be compatible to mine?

What about wattage? Mines a 350 watt but some of the used wheels im seeing are 500w 750w and 1000w, would I risk becoming a human accidental I.E.D if I tried interchanging these with my current 350w battery set up? Is this even possible?
My juvenile mindframe tells me while I grunt my power= more speed and acceleration?

Flame away!
Old 05-01-24, 07:45 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked 4,086 Times in 2,724 Posts
What did Heybike say about ordering a new wheel?
Old 05-01-24, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 634 Posts
Probably the controller for your 350w wheel is only 15 amps, so it's doubtful that a more powerful wheel would help. You could procure a more powerful kit, but your battery might not support it, and you could ruin the battery. Best bet is a new wheel from Hey (as above), a 350w ($200 or so) or if you're mechanically inclined to procure a new rim and lace up a wheel (just make sure the hub and new rim are 36 hole or whatever). Look at Sheldon Brown's site for expertise, and Grin's spoke calculator for spoke lengths.
Old 05-02-24, 12:46 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 179 Posts
Can you have a new rim installed?
Old 05-03-24, 09:22 AM

I dismissed that because in my burg it cost $100 labor (or more, haven't checked lately) plus at least $30 for a rim and $35 - 50 for spokes. Dealers are staying alive by price gouging for labor since bike sales are dormant.
Old 05-03-24, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I dismissed that because in my burg it cost $100 labor (or more, haven't checked lately) plus at least $30 for a rim and $35 - 50 for spokes. Dealers are staying alive by price gouging for labor since bike sales are dormant.
Surely it's less than buying an entire motor-hub wheel, plus a chance to rebuild it using a quality rim and spokes?

Confess IDK what sort of bike we're discussing and whether it warrants fixing vs. replacing the entire thing. Lots of disposable bikes out there.
Old 05-04-24, 06:08 AM

My last 1000w kit, which includes a rear hub motor in a 26" wheel, 30 amp controller, throttle, PAS system, motor cut off brake levers and assembly bits, is fabulous and costs < $200. The bike, which weighs less than 40 pounds without battery (about eight pounds), goes at least 33 mph @ 52V (didn't explore further). The wiring hasn't been shortened to fit and concealed yet.
Old 05-04-24, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Liked 3,023 Times in 1,721 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Yeah. Shame on them for having to charge enough to avoid going out of business. Not that there will be many non-corporate bike stores still around in a couple of years, given the rate at which they're currently disappearing.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-04-24, 07:03 AM

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 197 Posts
If the rent is dented, it's toast. If it's just wobbling back and forth, that can probablt be trued with a spoke wrench.

Trueing a wheel is not hard and building one is more of the same. Takes time/patience. A rim and good spokes will ccst $80-100. A shop might get them for less, but labor is expensive. They probably lose money at $50. It's worth learning how to straighten a wheel, All your wheels will spin straight.

If you buy a good 48V14Ah battery and a 20A controller/display, the Heybike will probably run 23-25 mph and feel pretty snappy. That could cost close to the $650 to buy a new Heybike Cityscape on amazon. Not worth it.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 05-04-24 at 08:18 AM.