Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-24, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11994 Post(s)
Liked 6,728 Times in 3,514 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
BIRD CONTENT!!!

While heading back down Mt Hamilton today with my retired ranger buddy, he pointed out to me the bald eagle nest in a eucalyptus tree.

No eagles so far this year, but last year was a bit of a scene, as one of the eagles dropped a baby red tail hawk into the nest:

The story gets weird, as the eagles raised the hawk instead of eating it. But they weren't model parents. They brought another hawk to the nest, but ended up eating it.
Wow, that's wild.
Old 05-01-24, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11994 Post(s)
Liked 6,728 Times in 3,514 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I got two refills of prednisone at the pharmacy today.

Both 60 tablets. One of them 1 mgs, and the other 5 mgs.

On the printout it has the following "cash" prices:

1mg = $43.33
5 mg = $11.20

How does that make any sense?
They're hoping the higher dose will keep you out of their hair the longest. They must be new there.
Old 05-01-24, 07:42 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13754 Post(s)
Liked 4,551 Times in 2,524 Posts
I got two refills of prednisone at the pharmacy today.

Both 60 tablets. One of them 1 mgs, and the other 5 mgs.

On the printout it has the following "cash" prices:

1mg = $43.33
5 mg = $11.20

How does that make any sense?
Volume discount.
Old 05-01-24, 07:45 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12873 Post(s)
Liked 7,795 Times in 4,135 Posts
The rubber is in da house. Can't start messing with it til zoom meeting is over around 8pm tho.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-01-24, 08:24 PM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28749 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,332 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Bulk pricing
This does not appear to be an adequate explanation.

Elsewhere:

Old 05-01-24, 09:21 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,124 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Recommending Shimano on Italian frames smh.

ya know … i just thought about that earlier today …

does genejockey have a vintage campy record group set in storage ?
Old 05-01-24, 09:29 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,124 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yeah, I was thinking something more affordable....

I looked at the team bikes for the 1995 TdF, for inspiration. The thing is, the 90s was a time of big changes in steel bikes, with tubesets breaking out of the old dimensions. Comparing my Ritchey (1995-ish) to the Circuit (1989) is a good example. The Circuit is made of all SL and SP, except the fork and seatstays. Skinny tubes, with the main triangle all round. Lugged construction. The Ritchey tubeset is from Tange, with a larger diameter top tube and a seat tube that's ovalized at the bottom bracket. TIG welded, not lugged. Since 7400/7410 Dura Ace was The New Hotness in the 90s, I feel like I'd want a frame that would have been more cutting edge than trailing edge BITD.

But of course, the problem with that is, they cost money! Fortunately, I'm in no hurry and may never get around to it.
maybe a Serotta ? Coors team edition ?

DeRosa ?

Waterford Paramount ?
Old 05-01-24, 09:51 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Urrph. These tires are so tight they refuse to pop up onto the shelf with a hand pump. Then I tried the ol' trick to put a tube in to pop a bead on there. But the beads were soapy and the tires so tight that when I pulled the tube out, the other bead just slid right down into the trough again.

Sooo... got the tubes in and I'll ride 'em for a couple days and with any luck the soap will dry and one bead will stay on the shelf and I can get tubeless setup.

I'm sure this is all the fault of big air compressor trying to get me to buy a compressor
Old 05-01-24, 10:04 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Yeah, I was thinking something more affordable....
Dangit, you made me look at CL!

No good bare frames here that I saw. Closest was a Torpado frameset built with Tre-Tubi for $200

Then I saw this, and was almost in the minivan headed south on the I-17 before I came to my senses

Old 05-02-24, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18493 Post(s)
Liked 15,790 Times in 7,415 Posts
Things are getting too loony here.
Difficult to see, but that's a loon moving through the water to the left of the buoy. Otis, MA.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-02-24, 05:01 AM

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 1,256 Posts
Had a fun ride on our downtown MTB trails last night. I'm really trying to work on my cornering technique and felt like I made some decent progress getting over my anxiety of weighting the front wheel in corners.

Also played around on a couple of tabletops. I've never tried jumping the MTB much and that was a lot of fun - the jumps are new and nicely shaped. I could clear the smaller of the two tables but need another foot or two of distance to not case the bigger one.

The ride didn't go perfectly, though. I was descending through a fairly fast flowy section and came across another rider going the opposite way, grabbed too much front brake trying to slow down and my front wheel washed out. I hit pretty hard on my right side. Banged up my right knee quite a bit and also caught my right shoulder and elbow. Got to enjoy a rather spicy shower scrubbing all the dirt and blood off after the ride home. But the bike is okay and I didn't tear up any kit
Old 05-02-24, 10:38 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10505 Post(s)
Liked 12,044 Times in 6,169 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
BIRD CONTENT!!!

While heading back down Mt Hamilton today with my retired ranger buddy, he pointed out to me the bald eagle nest in a eucalyptus tree.

No eagles so far this year, but last year was a bit of a scene, as one of the eagles dropped a baby red tail hawk into the nest:

The story gets weird, as the eagles raised the hawk instead of eating it. But they weren't model parents. They brought another hawk to the nest, but ended up eating it.
Birdz iz weird.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-02-24, 10:41 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by rjones28
My friend, who is Italian, rides Pinarellos. With Ultegra. I always give him a hard about it.
Originally Posted by t2p
ya know … i just thought about that earlier today …

does genejockey have a vintage campy record group set in storage ?
No, he does not. But, you know, EVERYBODY does Campy on Italian frames. It's been done to death! And I already HAVE two Italian bikes with Campy - the Battagin (Chorus) and the Bianchi (Veloce).

Old 05-02-24, 10:52 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by t2p
maybe a Serotta ? Coors team edition ?

DeRosa ?

Waterford Paramount ?
I spent some time yesterday musing on this. I went back to a listing of 1995 TdF team bikes, and like I said, all 3 teams riding Colnagos were running Dura Ace. The other teams running DA were riding Coppi, Bottechia, Look, Gazelle and Peugeot. There's also Motorola's "Caloi", which were actually Eddy Merckx, and Castorama riding "Maxi Sport", which were apparently built by Cyrille Guimard.

I did find a Look KG191 of the right era, in yellow like the Once bikes, in my size. Cheap, too! Only $250. Except the listing says, "To be repaired" Basically, if there's a frame from one of those makers on Ebay, from the right era, in the right size, it's either godawfully expensive, or it's trashed. More likely, there aren't any frames from the right era in the right size.

And this is a whim anyway. I don't feel the drive to make this happen, like I did for all the other bikes I've acquired.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-02-24, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18493 Post(s)
Liked 15,790 Times in 7,415 Posts
The young bear roaming around the suburbs yesterday was darted and captured. He’ll probably be relocated to the Poconos.
Old 05-02-24, 12:49 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The young bear roaming around the suburbs yesterday was darted and captured. He’ll probably be relocated to the Poconos.
I wonder if the zebra is still loose near the western terminus of the Palouse to Cascades... 🦓
Old 05-02-24, 12:52 PM
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8891 Post(s)
Liked 3,053 Times in 1,766 Posts
Had a fun ride on our downtown MTB trails last night. I'm really trying to work on my cornering technique and felt like I made some decent progress getting over my anxiety of weighting the front wheel in corners.

Also played around on a couple of tabletops. I've never tried jumping the MTB much and that was a lot of fun - the jumps are new and nicely shaped. I could clear the smaller of the two tables but need another foot or two of distance to not case the bigger one.

The ride didn't go perfectly, though. I was descending through a fairly fast flowy section and came across another rider going the opposite way, grabbed too much front brake trying to slow down and my front wheel washed out. I hit pretty hard on my right side. Banged up my right knee quite a bit and also caught my right shoulder and elbow. Got to enjoy a rather spicy shower scrubbing all the dirt and blood off after the ride home. But the bike is okay and I didn't tear up any kit
Don't tell vol this. Not good advertising.
Old 05-02-24, 12:54 PM
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8891 Post(s)
Liked 3,053 Times in 1,766 Posts
Birdz iz weird.
RMOT
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 05-02-24, 01:50 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 11442 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 2,798 Posts

It's good you're OK.

David Malukas? Not so lucky. He lost his ride at McLaren due to a MTB crash.

You kids be careful on those dadgum things.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 05-02-24, 02:00 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2702 Post(s)
Liked 3,263 Times in 1,712 Posts
Glad you're ok abshipp. MTB certainly has it's risks. FWIW, I've crashed many times on the MTB, only a couple of them amounted to more than me just dusting myself off. I've had more bad accidents on the road.

Also I don't really do jumps haha. That's a young man's game! Used to ride my bmx bike on dirt jumps a lot as a kid.
Old 05-02-24, 02:04 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2702 Post(s)
Liked 3,263 Times in 1,712 Posts
abshipp I've had a similar incident where me and another rider basically collided at the handlebars going around a blind corner. The other guy got floored and I stayed standing haha, not sure how that worked out. While getting up and surveying the damage, he went on and on about how I owed him a beer or whatever, when there was clearly no fault IMO. Chatty, short Italian dude, reminded me of Joe Pesci. Funny story, not long after that, the park rangers made that trail one-way (in my direction )
Old 05-02-24, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8353 Post(s)
Liked 9,195 Times in 4,531 Posts
Years ago 5 of us were on a fast section of dirt road and my one friend went way too wide and collided with a guy coming the other way. Both went down pretty hard and the other guy got up and he was pissed, justifiably so. He was a big, muscular dude and he probably would have fought my friend except there were 5 of us.

The crash bent the down tube on my friend's steel bike so he sold it to me for $100. Good deal because it was all XT with good wheels. I bought a small frame used from my lbs for $50 and built it up for my then wife.
Old 05-02-24, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8353 Post(s)
Liked 9,195 Times in 4,531 Posts
The ride scheduler from my club was on the ride with me last Saturday and he enjoyed it so much he scheduled a ride this Saturday including part of that route.
He's a thin 37 year old climber so the people who go with him will be climbers. Plus, it's 85 miles with over 7K feet. I've done it, but not lately and chasing those goats would be tough.
Thinking about doing part of it or some variation, though. Loved the quiet roads and the weather should be good again. Geez, I'm such a wuss these days.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-02-24, 04:30 PM

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3262 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Urrph. These tires are so tight they refuse to pop up onto the shelf with a hand pump. Then I tried the ol' trick to put a tube in to pop a bead on there. But the beads were soapy and the tires so tight that when I pulled the tube out, the other bead just slid right down into the trough again.

Sooo... got the tubes in and I'll ride 'em for a couple days and with any luck the soap will dry and one bead will stay on the shelf and I can get tubeless setup.

I'm sure this is all the fault of big air compressor trying to get me to buy a compressor
I fixed a flat today(snakebite) and the tire was so loose I had trouble getting it to stay on long enough to get air into it.
Old 05-02-24, 04:37 PM

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3262 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,184 Posts
Mentioned it before here, but since we’re talking head on collisions, there was the group coming out of the underpass as I was going in. They appeared out of darkness a few meters in front of me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.